Top 20 marketing quotes of all time
There are many different types of marketing – content marketing, video marketing, inbound marketing and more. Each kind of marketing has its own methods and mediums, and yet there is one key skill every great marketer possesses – the ability to sum up a brand in a clear, succinct way which grabs the attention of customers.
Great marketers have keen business acumen and understand how the customer thinks, which they can leverage in the form of punchy, captivating content. A healthy dose of curiosity and the ability to experiment and get creative are also key skills in the marketing game – customers can be a fickle bunch, and in an increasingly noisy world, marketers have to think outside the box to ensure that a business’s message is heard.
As a b2b PR Agency, we admire the industry leaders who also understand and love marketing. Here are some of the best marketing quotes from the marketing heroes who are great at what they do.
- “Good marketing makes the company look smart. Great marketing makes the customer feel smart.” – Joe Chernov, Chief Marketing Officer at Robin
- “Today it’s important to be present, be relevant and add value.” – Nick Besbeas, former VP of Marketing at LinkedIn
- “Excellence in marketing, media and advertising is becoming the key driver to business growth. Boardrooms are wising up that customers should have the biggest seat at the table, and funnily enough, so should good marketers who have always put the customer and consumers at the heart of their decisions. Never before has there been so much opportunity for marketers to start steering our businesses.” – Sherilyn Shackell, Founder and CEO of the Marketing Academy
- “Marketing’s job is never done. It’s about perpetual motion. We must continue to innovate every day.” – Beth Comstock, author former Vice Chair of General Electric
- “The danger for any marketer is getting stuck in one team or area. Rather than simply being a good campaign manager or brand marketer, you’ve got to rip up your job specification and get your hands dirty. Get into the business and get to know the IT community. You’ve got to build a network across company disciplines, find like-minded colleagues and then go on a journey together.” – Pete Markey, Chief Marketing Officer at TSB Bank
- “If you do what you’ve always done, you’ll get what you’ve always gotten.” – Tony Robbins, author, entrepreneur, business strategist and life coach
- “Content marketing is really like a first date. If all you do is talk about yourself, there won’t be a second date.” – David Beebe, Executive Producer at David Beebe Projects
- “The number of people publishing content on social networks is growing at a staggering rate. Standing out means not trying to be all things to all people. Stand for something specific and focus on going deep on that topic with your messaging, engagement, connections and content.” – Lee Odden, CEO and Founder of TopRank Marketing
- “Great marketing activity pushes boundaries. It breaks into places you wouldn’t expect. It makes a habit of something completely new. It is disruptive, unexpected and imaginative. It uses the latest technology seamlessly and for smart targeting.” – Sara Holt, Digital Marketing Director at the LEGO Group
- “Content marketing behaves in the same way as TV programming, in that it must be inherently entertaining and or informative in order to successfully engage its target audience. That means focusing on an ‘editorial idea’, not an ‘advertising idea’.” –Simon Michaelides, Chief Commercial Officer at UKTV
- “We now live in a world with an abundance of choice. Trends happen in minutes, not years, and everybody has an audience. In this world, greater trust is placed on the opinion of communities and friends than institutions or brands. People are fed up with brands that just want to land their own message. They want to identify with brands that they feel are worthy of an invitation into their world. A clearly articulated point of view, expressed creatively and through great storytelling, is critical.” – Cindy Tervoort, Head of Marketing at Heineken
- “To be relevant in the boardroom you have to own the whole customer journey, own the results at every stage of the customer journey. You have to be driving conversion and results at every stage of the customer lifecycle. That’s what I look for from a CMO, someone who’s really accountable for results.” – David Kassler, CEO of Williams Lea Tag
- “No website can stand without a strong backbone. And that backbone is technical SEO.” – Neil Patel, SEO expert and co-founder of Neil Patel Digital
- “Sadly, much of the content being published is simply not worth linking to. 75% of it is getting zero inbound links. So forget the ‘more is better’ approach to content if you want links. Go with quality instead. Your content will generate links only if it is truly exceptional” – Brian Sutter, Director of Marketing at Wasp Barcode Technologies
- “In a crowded marketplace, fitting in is a failure. In a busy marketplace, not standing out is the same as being invisible.” – Seth Godin, former dot com business executive and award-winning author
- “Media like radio and newspapers are dismissed far too easily by marketers, who need to open their minds to the real possibilities that these fantastic channels can offer. I am not saying spend all, or any, of your money on radio. I am saying if you do not ask your media agency to include radio and news media in your initial consideration you are a fool.” – Mark Ritson, Adjunct Professor of Marketing at Melbourne Business School
- “Your top of the funnel content must be intellectually divorced from your product but emotionally wed to it.” – Joe Chernov
- “Our job is to connect to people, to interact with them in a way that leaves them better than we found them, more able to get where they’d like to go.” – Seth Godin
- “If your stories are all about your products and services, that’s not storytelling. It’s a brochure. Give yourself permission to make the story bigger.” – Jay Baer, marketing consultant and New York Times best-selling author
- “Social media is about the people. Not about your business. Provide for the people and the people will provide for you.” – Matt Goulart, Founder of Ignite Digital